Utilizing the Cloud as a Utility for the Advanced Power Grid
Book Summary: The utilization of sensors, communications, and computer technologies to create greater efficiency in the generation, transmission, distribution, and consumption of electricity will enable better management of the electric power system. As the use of smart grid technologies grows, utilities will be able to automate meter reading and billing and consumers will be more aware of their energy usage and the associated costs. The results will require utilities and their suppliers to develop new business models, strategies, and processes.
With an emphasis on reducing costs and improving return on investment (ROI) for utilities, Smart Grids: Clouds, Communications, Open Source, and Automation explores the design and implementation of smart grid technologies, considering the benefits to consumers as well as businesses. Focusing on industrial applications, the text:
- Provides a state-of-the-art account of the smart grid
- Explains how smart grid technologies are currently being used
- Includes detailed examples and test cases for real-life implementation
- Discusses trade-offs associated with the utilization of smart grid technologies
- Describes smart grid simulation software and offers insight into the future of the smart grid
The electric power grid is in the early stages of a sea of change. Nobody knows which business models will survive, but companies heeding the lessons found in Smart Grids: Clouds, Communications, Open Source, and Automation might just increase their chances for success.
This material is presented to ensure timely dissemination of scholarly and technical work. Copyright and all rights therein are retained by authors or by other copyright holders. All persons copying this information are expected to adhere to the terms and constraints invoked by each author's copyright. In most cases, these works may not be reposted without the explicit permission of the copyright holder.
- The following copyright notice applies to all of the above items that appear in IEEE publications: "Personal use of this material is permitted. However, permission to reprint/publish this material for advertising or promotional purposes or for creating new collective works for resale or redistribution to servers or lists, or to reuse any copyrighted component of this work in other works must be obtained from IEEE."
- The following copyright notice applies to all of the above items that appear in ACM publications: "© ACM, effective the year of publication shown in the bibliographic information. This file is the author’s version of the work. It is posted here by permission of ACM for your personal use. Not for redistribution. The definitive version was published in the journal or proceedings indicated in the bibliographic data for each item."
- The following copyright notice applies to all of the above items that appear in IFAC publications: "Document is being reproduced under permission of the Copyright Holder. Use or reproduction of the Document is for informational or personal use only."