2013 Summer School Scholarships
Application Deadline: April 14, 2013*
Notification: April 30, 2013
*for ALL application materials
Academic students interested in attending the 2013 TCIPG Summer School have an opportunity to apply for scholarships that cover registration fees, lodging, and a small stipend for travel. Scholarship applicants are also encouraged to submit a Lightning Talk Proposal (Lightning Talk proposals due May 15).
Applicants must be enrolled in a degree-granting program at a university or college in the United States to apply. Preference will be given to students with demonstrated academic, research, and/or career interests in power or smart grid cybersecurity.
ALL items must be received by the deadline of April 14, 2013 for full consideration.
- Completed online application.
- 1-2 page essay that responds to essay questions (PDF upload w/online application). More information about essay provided below.
- Faculty letter of recommendation emailed to csoliday [at] illinois.edu. More information on where to send letter provided below.
About the Online Application
- The online application provides an opportunity to save your work and return to complete and submit your application. You will receive an email with a link to return to the form. This email/link is the only way you can continue to access a saved application. The email will come from webservices [at] illinois.edu and will say "Retake Form" in the subject line.
- Data for applications that have been started but not submitted by the deadline will be lost.
- The online application offers an opportunity for you to receive an email of your submitted answers, which also serves a receipt/confirmation of your application. We strongly encourage you to provide an email address for this option. You may also want to forward this confirmation email to your faculty advisor when requesting a letter of recommendation.
Your scholarship essay should not exceed 2 pages, must be provided as a PDF document, and must include the following:
Header - include at top of all pages:
- Full Name
- University or College Name
- Major of Study (i.e., Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, etc.)
- Degree you are pursuing and year/month you expect to receive degree
(example: MS, 2013-05)
Essay Content - your essay must address the following:
- What are your research interests and/or career goals? Responses to this may include brief summaries about field of research, thesis projects, and/or internships.
- Tell us how this summer school opportunity will benefit the above stated interests and goals.
- How might your participation at this summer school help advance the missions and efforts of TCIPG, the Department of Energy, and the Department of Homeland Security?*
*Click on hyperlinks to learn more about each organization's mission/efforts in trustworthy cyber infrastructure. Content will open in a new window.
Faculty Advisor Letter of Recommendation
Although you will be asked to provide your faculty advisor's name and contact information with your application, you are responsible for requesting the letter and ensuring it is received by the application deadline.
Instruct your faculty advisor to send the letter of recommendation to:
TCIPG Program Manager
csoliday [at] illinois.edu
Please also request that your advisor include the following in her/his letter:
- Your full name
- 1 or 2 brief paragraphs supporting your academic accomplishments, research, and/or interests in the fields of power or smart grid cybersecurity.
You may also want to forward a copy of your submitted application email confirmation (includes responses) and a PDF copy of your essay when requesting your letter of recommendation.
Questions? Contact Cheri Soliday at csoliday [at] illinois.edu.